The transition from being an innocent child to a young adult comes with many emotions. First, there’s the excitement of finally having the license to do what adults do, like driving a car or working for money. Then, the uncertainty of knowing their way around, given the only resources they are armed with are ideals presented to them as a child. But don’t get us wrong, it is a process worth getting into the rollercoaster ride for. They have a lot of people’s attention, for one.
Various cultures celebrate coming of age in different ways
Coming of age is considered an important milestone worth going the extra mile for, in terms of gifts and the actual celebration.
In America, being Sweet 16 is the turning point, mainly because it is when one is permitted to drive a car legally — and driving comes with a lot of freedom. When you go behind the wheel of a used car Utah, it feels like the world is in your hands. You can steer it no matter where you want to go. Fitting enough, most celebrants get a car as a gift during the party.
In Vanuatu, the stakes may not be higher as an over-the-top party coupled with a car gift, but they are definitely nerve-wracking. Their coming of age ceremony for boys is jumping off a 98-foot tower. The boys get a lot of training for that as they start jumping at age 7, going higher as they get older.
In Japan, the tradition is for 20-year-olds to come together in a day of fun, every second Monday of January, assigned for the Coming of Age Festival or Seijin no Hi. First, the young adults attend a ceremony at the local city office in their traditional attire. Afterward, friends and family shower them with various gifts and an all-out party.
The best gifts for young adults
Celebrating teens‘ transition into adulthood is not always easy, especially for parents who would always choose to consider their children their babies forever. But it is inevitable, so they might as well ride the waves. One of the most exciting parts is identifying the best gifts to represent this milestone. Here are a few ideas:
- A new car. For all its symbolic and material value, any young adult would love a gift that will allow them to practice their newfound freedom to get away and get someplace, of course, within their parents’ watch still.
- Gaming gadgets and mobile devices. The gift of technology is taking over the traditional coming-of-age gifts. They are the thing of the now, of this generation, and are your safest pick.
- A good book. Any book will do, but leaning onto the bible or its equivalent is an excellent choice if you are the religious type.
- A piece of jewelry. Jewelry is valuable enough to signify an important milestone for the kid and the entire family.
- Cash or gift card. If all else fails, the safest route is to offer cash for their savings account or a gift card to help them buy anything they fancy.
Indeed, coming of age is exceptional in every way.
Leave a Reply